Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Love Bites

So I went on a date with a cute boy, (an amazing twist to my usual love story) and we went hiking in the canyon. A great idea... until mother nature decided to be moody and snow for no reason whatsoever. But since we had no backup plan and a hike was sounding really fun, we decided to be rebellious and go hiking anyway.
So we got on our snow gear and headed up the mountain. I was quickly starting to realize that this was not the brightest idea I'd ever had. I was our guide since between the two of us, I was the only one who had ever been up there before. The only problem was everything was covered in snow... and I had no clue where we were or what direction we were heading, or if we were even remotely close to our destination. So we just wandered around for a few hours getting stuck in the snow and trying to figure out where exactly we were.
I have to admit that it was really fun. We'd be trudging through the snow when one of us would take a wrong step and suddenly find ourselves waist deep in the snow, and the other would have to stop and help the fallen friend out. And with me already being a klutz anyway, well... I spent a lot of my time playing "damsel in distress" and being pulled out of the snow.
As our wonderful adventure was nearing its end, my ankles were feeling very sore. I figured my boots had been rubbing against them, causing them to blister. I did have a bit of snow in them but that's to be expected in a crazy snow trek like this one.
When I got home I took my boots off to find that my suspicions were correct. I had blisters on the back of both ankles. A small price to pay for an excellent evening. It wouldn't be until later that I would discover that those were no mere blisters. I had gotten second degree frost bite! The proper reward for leaving the snow in my boots like an idiot! Oh well... I still say the date was totally worth it. I had fun earning that frost bite!
By Madi

No comments: