Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Not All Princes Are Charming

One summer afternoon while I was on my walk, I was invited to a guys house for a "party." He said the party would start at 4:30 and I was welcome to come any time before that. I didn't really want to go but he was really persistent and I had nothing better to do anyway. I went home and showered and got ready. Around three he called my house and reminded me that i could come over whenever I wanted. I said thanks, i know and said goodbye. Finally, at 4:00 when I was sick of him calling me to remind me I could come early, I prepared to leave my house. As I was walking out the door he called yet again and said that he would come pick me up. So I waited for him to come and then we were off to his house. We were there early so I wasn't surprised when I didn't see anyone else there. We went inside and I asked if there was anything I could do to help him get ready for the so called "party." He said that it would be downstairs and there wasn't much to do and we headed down the steps.
I first became suspicious when I noticed that there didn't seem to be any party arrangements down here at all. When I questioned him about it he said that his friends would be bringing some treats, and one friend in particular should be there any minute. In the meantime he begged me to allow him to teach me a song on the guitar. When his friends still weren't there he suggested that we just start the movie without them. I really didn't feel comfortable with this and tried to delay it as long as possible. When he went upstairs to get the movie, I played hide-and-seek with his little sister, more hiding from him then her. But he found me and said it was time to start the show. His little sister protested insisting that I stay with her because I was HER best friend. I would have rather played with her than this boy but he persisted until the show was in the VCR and ready to go. He sat down on the couch and I picked his little sister up and sat her on my lap on the opposite end of the couch. Despite all my efforts to stay far away from him, somehow within fifteen minutes he was right there beside me with his arm around me and still trying to get even closer. Each time he made a movement I would pretend that it tickled and try to wiggle my way out of his grasp but with little success.
Finally, when it had become obvious that no one else was coming, and there had only been one purpose of inviting me there (and it wasn't to party with friends), I told him I had to leave and stood up and got the heck out of there. I walked the few blocks home and had never felt so relieved to be away from anyone in my life.
So I guess the moral of the story is, be careful who you trust. Because not all princes are charming. Many of them will try to trick you to get something they want. Hold your ground and don't be fooled. Leave behind these not-so-charming princes. They aren't worth it. Wait for the one who is and never settle for anything less than the best.

No comments: