Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Every Princess Loves A Ball

One night while I was sitting in my house I heard the doorbell ring. My brothers raced each other to the door and shortly returned with a T-Shirt tied with a bow. Unfolding the shirt I read these words: "Wash this shirt and you will see, who your date to Prom could be..." As I looked over the different names on the shirt, I recognized many of them and wondered which of these fine young men it would be. I ran with excitment to the washing machine and threw the shirt in. An hour later I had my answer. Now it was my task to return the favor. I snuck around his yard one evening hiding plastic Easter eggs. Within each egg there was a paper with words saying things such as: "Keep looking," or "Not this one." Then an especially carefully placed egg with the simple letters "YES" written on it. On his porch I left a note: "Throughout your yard twelve eggs await. Find them to see if I'm your date." Then of course, I rang the doorbell and ran as fast as my little legs could carry me.

The morning of the dance he woke me up in my room at 6:00 am. We had breakfast at a friends house and then they allowed the girls to go home and get ready. That afternoon they took us to the Golf Course and played miniature golf. I decided I'm not very good with a club... After I lost miserably (laughing the whole way) We went to tthe park and ate Subway sandwiches. Mmm! While we were there a little boy who was probably about ten years old kept walking by and saying things like, "Hey ladies!" and "What's up dogs?" His embarrassed mother, as she was trying to contain her son jokingly said, "You can hit him if you want. I don't care." We didn't take her up on her offer.

We left the park and headed to Costa Azul (now known as Costa Vida) for dinner. It was my first time being there and definately not my last. I had a chicken enchalada and then the boys all dropped their dates of so that we could prepare ourselves for the dance while they went to a meeting.

That evening they picked us up and after all the girls in the group finished Ooo-ing and Ahh-ing at one anothers dresses we headed in to the dance. The rest of the evening was filled with music and dancing and running around admiring friends dresses while the guys stood by us and mocked our girly behavior. I was kind of nervous about the dancing because in my opinion, I wasn't very coordinated and I didn't even know how to sway back and forth to a ballad. How was I supposed to dance the faster songs? But once the music started I let go of all self consciousness and dance the night away. The only part of the dance that wasn't my favorite was picture time. I had no clue what the heck I was supposed to do or what face would be acceptable to pull... but when all was said and done I think the pictures turned out okay and the evening was a success.

I felt like a real princess out on the dance floor being twirled around in a pretty dress and swaying to the music. I was sorry when it was time to go home but I had a 12:30 curfew and I had to get home. I gave my date a hug at the door and went to my room and was out before I hit the pillow. My last thoughts were, "I think I'm going to like this dance thing."

1 comment:

Sue Bullough Burningham said...

What a fun blog! I love reading about all your dates!