Sunday, April 13, 2008

Temple Date

Once upon a time, I got set up on a blind date. Let's call him Bob, since I can't remember his name. Anyways, my friend gave Bob my number, and a couple days later he called and asked me out. He told me that he would make me dinner over at his apartment and we would watch a movie. He asked me if I wanted him to pick me up, and I said no, thinking in my mind, "If this gets bad, I want my car so I can get out of there!" He gave me his address and what time we were meeting, and I said I'd see him then.
I drove over to Bob's apartment, and got lost in the process, but I finally got there. He and his roommate made dinner for me and his roommate's date. We had just decided what movie to watch and we were eating when the roommate suggested we go to Temple Square. Now, granted, I like Temple Square. It's a beautiful place. But, it was September. There aren't any pretty lights up at Temple Square in September. We had no real reason to go down there. And I really wanted to have my car so I could make a fast getaway if needed. But, everyone else wanted to do it so I went along.On the hour-long drive down to Salt Lake, Bob told me his entire life story: how he had become inactive from our church for 2 years, things he did during that time, and how he was engaged once, but caught his fiancee in bed with another man. Not really what I wanted to hear, but okay. He didn't really ask me about myself or anything, but just talked about himself the whole time. Not appealing.
We finally arrived at Temple Square. We walked around for a while and went to the visitor's center. It was a Thursday night, and the Tabernacle Choir was rehearsing, so we went in and listened for a bit. That was the best part of the date. While we were walking around, Bob finally started asking me questions. But they were questions like, What temple do you want to get married in? When you get married, do you want to live around here? (He was originally from Hawaii.) How many kids do you want? But then he asked my least favorite question of all: What do you look for in a guy? I hate that question with a passion, mostly because I don't really look for any certain traits. Sure, there are basic essential things that the guy I want to marry must possess, but they are few. So, I really hate that question. I answered him, "Well, someone with a good sense of humor, someone I can talk to..." He said to that, "Okay, that's me, okay that's me...." Little presumptuous aren't we buddy? That's not exactly the way to impress me.
We were on our way out when Bob spotted one of those horse and carriages that drive around Temple Square. He asked the driver the price, and then asked us if we wanted to do it. I was secretly thinking to myself, "Everyone say no, please, everyone say no..." Luckily no one else wanted to do it. We finally left Salt Lake, and on the way back we decided to get some ice cream in Bountiful. Bob said he knew where a park was close by that we could go and it eat at, so we went there. We were playing around on the stuff at the park, when Bob pointed towards the mountainside and said, "Isn't that a great view?" I looked up and saw... the Bountiful Temple. Lovely. I said it was very nice, and hurried to finish my ice cream so we could go home. On the way back to his apartment in Riverdale, we were almost to the exit when Bob's roommate said, "Hey Bob, do you mind if we go drive by the Ogden Temple before we go back?" Bob looked at me questioningly, but I just said, "That's fine with me." So we went clear out of our way to drive by the Ogden Temple. We finally got back to his apartment around 11:30. I had a half hour drive home still, and I had to be up at 5 AM the next morning, so I was not too thrilled. I gave Bob a hug, said goodnight, and went on my way.
The next Tuesday I saw Bob at school. He asked me if I would like to go out again sometime. I told him I wasn't really looking for a relationship right then. He told me he wasn't either. We chit-chatted a little more, and then he left. He never called again. I can't say I was sad.
About a month and a half after our date, Bob was engaged. To a girl he started dating not long after our date. Not looking for a relationship... HA! Yeah right.
By Janel

No comments: