Monday, April 7, 2008

First Date

My whole life I looked forward to that glorious day that I would turn 16 and go on my first date. The experience came one week after my sixteenth birthday. I had a major crush on a boy in my class and was thrilled when he asked me out. I dreamed of how much fun it would be. I imagined us joking and laughing and I could see the perfect night unfolding in my mind. But as the week went by and the evening of the date grew closer and closer, I began to have a strange sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I suddenly came to a realization that I had no clue what I was supposed to wear, do, or say. I could feel the panic swelling inside me. But I kept reassuring myself... "It's just a date..." I would say. "...with the cutest guy you know..." and when that didn't help, "Don't mess up! ...i mean, of course i won't mess up..."
The day arrived and I came home form school that afternoon as quickly as was possible. He was coming at seven. I had just enough time to get ready. (School got out at 2:20) I Went home and showered only to do my hair exactly as i had done it earlier that morning. I didn't want him to know that I had put so much effort into getting ready. Each hair had to be put into it's proper place. The outfit was carefully selected and examined not only by me but by my mom and two sisters to make sure that everything was in order. I brushed my teeth... twice... and worked harder than any normal person should to make sure that my makeup was just right. The closer to seven it got, the more anxious I became. I'm not sure whether the hour was eagerly anticipated or dreaded. It may have been a little of both.
Seven O'clock came and the doorbell rang. My mom answered the door and after a minute of light conversation we were off and I was on my own. He opened my door to let me in the car. "I could get used to this." I thought. When I got in the car there was another couple in the car. The boy called me by name saying hello. ...I didn't know his name. I wasn't off to a good start. We went to the nameless boys house and had ribs. Okay, I like ribs... but what kind of date food is that? I was already so nervous that I was afraid of eating in front of him at all... people don't look their best when they're eating... so eating anything was already making me feel self-conscious, let alone ribs! They were delicoulsly messy. The boys did however, have to teach us girls how to properly eat a rib. They were even kindly enough to point out that we didn't need to eat the bones. But dinner was a little awkward because I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to say. I mostly just sat there trying to avoid making eye contact with him and trying to take a bite whenever he wasn't looking. And frantically trying to think of something hilarious to say. This wasn't turning out quite the way I imagined it. I learned the true meaning of the word "awkward" that night. I felt like an idiot. I was suddenly at a loss for anything to say. Forget humor, just give me words! Anything!!!
The night got a bit better when we started playing games. I finally relaxed and was able to joke around a little bit. But then the boys though it would be fun to play tackle and tickle. I had never experienced this before and was quite shocked when I hit the floor doubling over in laughter. We started having a pillow fight and burying each other under the Love Sacs. During one of moment when my date was under the sac, I went to jump on top. I must have been a little too excited because i overshot my mark and soon felt my head crashing into the wall. Ouch!!! And how embarrassing! But despite the throbbing pain and faint lightheadedness I was now experiencing I laughed and went on as if nothing had happened.
But at the end of the night when all was said and done, I concluded that it had been a very good night and I was looking forward to my next big adventure in the dating scene.

No comments: